Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Modern Flora by Rembrandt



Originally, this is not the title of this post. It's just about the fun photo shoot I had with my sister during last summer. When I posted it on Chictopia, one of my friends said it was like the painting of Flora by Rembrandt.
When I googled her, I found it amusing and fascinating. I love flowers, that's why I decided to change the title into something interesting other than my maxi and head dress. :)


In Roman mythologyFlora was a goddess of flowers and the season of spring. While she 

was otherwise a relatively minor figure in Roman mythology, being one among several fertility goddesses, her association with the spring gave her particular importance at the coming of springtime. Her festival, the Floralia, was held between April 28 and May 3 and symbolized the renewal of the cycle of life, drinking, and flowers. The festival was first instituted in 240 B.C.E but on the advice of the Sibylline books she was given another temple in 238 B.C.E. Her Greek equivalent was Chloris, who was a nymph and not a goddess at all. Flora was married toFavonius, the wind god, and her companion was Hercules. Her name is derived from the Latin word "flos" which means "flower." In modern English, "Flora" also means the plants of a particular region or period.
Flora achieved more prominence in the neo-pagan revival of Antiquity among Renaissance humanists than she had ever enjoyed in ancient Rome.
She is the main character of the ballet The Awakening of Flora.


By the way here's the photos :
















Maxi dress by Coco Cabana/ SM Dept Store
Thank you for viewing :)


xoxo


Barbiejhaki

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...